Sunday, October 7, 2012

From Dud to Stud--Raspberry Jam

I bought a pint of raspberries at a store that's on my black list for buying produce. It was my fault. I knew better. I was seduced by the low price and the idea that I didn't have to make one more stop at a real grocery store. I got my blemish-free berries home, washed them, and served them for dessert. They were a flop. Even Hoover turned his nose up at them. I was feeling virtuous as I put plastic wrap on the bowl and stuck them back in the fridge before going to bed. I was feeling even more virtuous when I took them out of the fridge for an afternoon snack. Surely they couldn't be as bad as we thought last night. They were. I tried them with a sprinkle of sugar. It didn't help. Then I started scheming up ways to turn it into something edible. Dry them? Turn them into fruit leather? Then it hit me--preserves! 

Here's what you need: fruit, sugar


Heat the washed raspberries in a small sauce pan on medium high heat


Add some sugar. If I were canning these preserves this would be an exact measurement, but since this is just going in the fridge, there is no need to measure, add as much (or as little) sugar as you like, I used about a cup


 Stir it and mash up the berries


Go wash a dish or two. Okay, I'll admit it. I forgot about them on the burner.


Its okay though. Preserves are very forgiving. Test the consistency. If you want a syrup you are done.


Syrups are good for pancakes, topping on ice cream, or even in a smoothie. If you want something for your toast, cook it for a few more minutes


When the consistency is about right, turn off the heat. It will thicken slightly as it cools. Check out that beautiful color


Put it in a jar. It will keep in the fridge for a couple months, and now your conscience is clean--you saved some yucky fruit from the trash! Yay for you!


Sugar saves the day, again and Hoover approves.


Ingredients:
  • 1 pint Raspberries
  • 1 cup Sugar
Directions:
  1. Cook raspberries and sugar on medium high heat for about 10 minutes
  2. Store in a jar, keep refrigerated 

No comments:

Post a Comment