Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cinnamon Chips

When I was a kid I use to love visiting my grandmother over summer vacation. My mother and I would fly to a far away city and stay for weeks. We would go fishing for crawdads, take day trips to Juarez, and visit long-lost relatives. My grandmother spoke no English, and I spoke no Spanish; so it was always an adventure. My grandmother was a gifted baker--she made the best bread pudding, and prize winning peach cobbler. Today I'll be sharing one of her less glamorous recipes. Cinnamon Chips. Ok, I just made that name up. The authentic version is called a Bunuelo; but, I'm pretty sure real buluelos aren't made with flour tortillas...

You'll need: Flour tortillas, sugar, cinnamon, and oil


Cut the tortillas or leave them whole...I like 'em chip-shaped 


While the oil is warming up, combine the cinnamon and sugar in a bag


Kick the kids out of the kitchen. Heat about an inch of oil--if you use a deep pot there is less mess from popping and splattering. When its hot, put in a few pieces--just don't crowd the pan


Flip 'em over and take them out to drain on a few paper towels


Don't let yours burn like mine. After a few seconds of draining, drop them in the bag and shake around to coat


Repeat.


Try them with a drizzle of honey


Sugar, on fat, on flour. Love it. 

After the oil has completely cooled you can strain out all the little bits and use it again. I like to use a mason jar with a coffee filter that's secured with a band. No need to clean up a strainer--my kind of cooking!


Whew. Now that dessert is out of the way I can start thinking about dinner!

Ingredients:
  • 6 Flour tortillas
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 Tbs cinnamon
  • cooking oil 
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in deep pot
  2. Cut tortillas and set aside. Combine cinnamon and sugar
  3. Cook tortillas until golden, set aside to drain
  4. Coat tortillas with cinnamon sugar 

2 comments: